I found out the hard way that not all Black Mold is created equal. It’s easy to see a little bit of green on your shower floor and think, “it’s just a little mold”. In reality, it can be toxic black mold, which can cause serious health problems for those living in the home. This blog post will explore what you need to know about identifying different types of mold and how to handle them appropriately. We’ll also talk about how using bleach doesn’t always kill all molds and what you should use instead!
Mold grows because there is moisture where it wouldn’t normally exist – whether from water leaks or high humidity levels or other factors. Mold spores are present everywhere around us so they’re almost impossible to avoid
What is black Mold?
Stachybotrys chartarum, also known as black mold or toxic black mold, is a variety of microfungus that produces its conidia in slime heads. It is sometimes found in soil and grain, but the mold is most often detected in cellulose-rich building materials from damp or water-damaged buildings.
Is black mold dangerous?
Based on current research, black mold exposure is no more dangerous than any other type of mold exposure. It is impossible to avoid exposure to mold — the spores are almost everywhere around us. In high amounts or in people with allergies, exposure to any mold may cause allergy symptoms.
What is green Mold?
Green mold is an umbrella term that refers to different species of fungi that grow in shades of green. … However, green mold can also grow in wet areas of a home. Although many species of mold can grow green, the most common are Cladosporium, Aspergillus, and Penicillium
Is green mold dangerous?
All molds — green, black, or other colors — can cause health problems, especially in susceptible people. Continuous exposure to mold can affect the respiratory system and trigger asthma attacks and allergens. So yes, if you see green mold, you should remove it as soon as possible.
What is pink mold?
That nasty substance is called Serratia marcescens, a microorganism commonly referred to as pink mold. Even though it’s been labeled a “mold,” this substance is actually a bacteria, not a fungus. These little guys thrive in warm, wet environments and feed off fatty substances (like soap residue for instance).
Is pink mold dangerous?
Even though this type of bacteria is not as dangerous as black mold, all kinds of health problems can result if you come into contact with pink mold in the shower or elsewhere in the house. The risk is worst for elderly family members, young children, or anyone who has a compromised immune system
1. Mold can grow in bathroom areas that are damp or humid
2. Stop water leaks by fixing the problem, not just covering it up with caulk
3. Use a squeegee to wipe down the shower after you take your shower
4. Install a vent fan to get rid of moisture and humidity from the air
5. Keep all surfaces clean by wiping them down regularly – including showers, sinks, toilets, countertops, floors, walls and baseboards
6. Don’t forget about your drains! Make sure they’re free of hair and other debris so that water can flow freely through them without being blocked or slowed down
Why doesn’t bleach kill mold?
The truth is, using chlorine bleach to kill mold is probably one of the worst things you can do. … Because mold spreads its roots (called mycelia and hyphae) deep into porous surfaces. Simply spraying a bleach solution on the surface won’t kill mold spores at their roots.
It’s time to clean up your act. Mold can grow in humidity-prone areas that are damp or humid, like your bathroom sink and shower. Stop water leaks by fixing the problem, not just covering it up with caulk! That way you’ll also stop mold from growing underneath the surface of the caulking material which is what happens when people try to use a quick fix solution without first addressing any underlying problems. A squeegee will make sure every last drop of moisture has been removed after you take a shower, so no more musty smells lingering around for days on end – but if there are stains left behind then don’t worry because we have something called Rarefier from K.O.R. Stone Care Products that removes even tough dirt and grime quickly and easily
K.O.R Stone Care Products “Rarefier” clean deep, hidden dirt and grime from your grout with this safe alternative to harsh cleaners
Unlimited use means it’s the rare occasion that you should even need another one.
Use on almost any surface in your home, including exterior stone too!
Now available in a growing list of stores, Kennedy Kitchens and Baths, Ebay, Facebook Stores, Amazon, RangeMe. Featured in Icyviolets and Vade Mecum of Luxury Journal.